India’s Newspaper Industry has been rising since so many years and this is why a lot of motivated individuals tend to indulge in these kind of businesses be it newspaper, magazine etc.
In India, as per a report, there are more than 82,000 newspapers in publication. And now this number seems to grow year by year. Publishing Industry has always been a lucrative option for a number of aspiring beings across India.
Publication of Books, Newspapers and Magazines is regulated by the Press and Books Registration Act, 1867 in India.
The Ministry of Information and Broadcasting controls the office of the Registrar of Newspapers for India and it is also responsible for framing rules under the Press and Registration of Books Act, 1867. So anybody willing to start a Newspaper or Magazine, Journals etc. will have to seek prior approval of RNI.
There are a lot of other rules and regulations that need to be kept in mind while going for a newspaper business in India.
The image below depicts a series of steps you need to undergo before starting the print newspaper business in India.
Title Verification needs to be done by the publisher of that newspaper whereby the respective person has to make an application for title verification indicating the name, language, periodicity, owner name and place of publication of the newspaper proposed, and submit it to the District Magistrate concerned.
From 1st March, 2015 the office of Registration of Newspapers in India has also provided the facility of filing online application for title verification.
Online Application for title verification is very simple, easy and hassle free process. In case of offline filing of application the District Magistrate after ensuring the credentials of the applicant, will forward the application to the RNI, who in turn checks the availability of the title and if found verifies it.
RNI informs the DM and publisher, the availability of the title by issuing a letter of title verification. After this, the publisher has to file a declaration with the District Magistrate in the prescribed format available and can start publishing the newspaper.
The application for registration can be submitted to the RNI along with an attested copy of the declaration, copy of title verification, first issue of the newspaper and a ‘No Foreign Tie up’ affidavit duly attested by a Notary.
The newspaper should contain volume number, issue number, title prominently displayed on the cover page and all pages, date line and page number on all pages and an imprint line containing the name of printer, publisher, owner and editor, address of the place of publication and name and address of the printing press.
List of Documents to be submitted to RN
In addition to the above said documents, following KYC documents are also required –
- Certificate of Incorporation, Memorandum/Articles of the Company and in case of Proprietorship, registration certificate issued under Shops and Establishment Act and in case of Partnership, Partnership Deed.
- PAN of the organization.
- List of Promoters/Directors/Partners
- Board resolution in case of Company.
- ID and Address proof of Partners/Directors/Proprietor
If you need any clarification or further details on any of the above documents you can contact Starters’ CFO.
After Registration Requirements
A copy of the newspaper needs to be delivered to the RNI whenever it is printed. The first issue after the last day of February should contain the Form No. IV duly filled in (Statement regarding ownership and other particulars of the newspaper). It is also mandatory to submit an annual statement in form II, on or before the last day of May every year. In case of daily newspapers, an additional form AR-R may also be submitted.
How to obtain Magazine Registration
Before starting the business of publication of magazines, you are supposed to follow many norms and procedures as prescribed by the Government of India. Some of them are mentioned below.
- Approach the Regional Magistrate court and prepare the application in the format as prescribed
- Obtain R. Dis Number (Diary Number) allotted by the magistrate court
- Apply to Registrar of Newspapers for India (RNI), Delhi office for name availability through the magistrate court. (It would take about 90 days of time for the RNI, Delhi office to approve the name as proposed.)
- Once the name is approved by Delhi office, then approach the magistrate court to get a date allotted for hearing (date can be allotted anytime between 1 to 4 months from the date of request)
- Printer, Publisher & Editor are required to appear before the magistrate for taking oath. Following Documents must be produced during the time of appearance; * Declaration copy which has to be filled by Printer, Publisher & Editor and to produce 3 copies each. * Address & Id proof of the Printer, Publisher & Editor. * Printing Press License copy of the Printer.
- After this is done, there will be an approval to this effect from the Magistrate court. Then, the magazine can be published. The copies of the magazines have to be submitted to the RNI, Regional office for the final approval. They will then evaluate whether the magazine meets the criteria specified in the declaration.
- After this, RNI Certificate will be issued.
- Both the R. Dis Number (Diary Number) and RNI Number have to be mentioned on each copy of the magazine.
If you need any further information regarding starting a newspaper/ magazine business in India, you are free to contact Starters’ CFO.